Summer is the season of glowing skin and sunny adventures, but for many of us, pigmentation issues can make us feel self-conscious about sun exposure. Whether it's those stubborn dark spots, hyperpigmentation or even hypopigmentation, pigmentation issues need not prevent you from making the most of the summer sun. As always, wear SPF and reapply frequently, and seek shade between 11 am and 3 pm when the sun is strongest to prevent worsening pigmentation. In this blog, we’ll take a look at what pigmentation is, its underlying causes, and most importantly, how to effectively treat it with the best serums specially curated for a radiant, even summer glow.
What is Pigmentation?
Pigmentation refers to the colouration of our skin triggered by a natural enzyme called tyrosinase, and it can manifest in different ways. Hyperpigmentation occurs when certain areas of the skin become darker than the surrounding skin due to excess melanin production. On the other hand, hypopigmentation refers to areas where the skin becomes lighter due to a decrease in melanin production.
Causes of Pigmentation
There are several factors that can trigger pigmentation irregularities, and some of them are particularly common during the summer months. Sun exposure is a major culprit, as harmful UV rays can stimulate melanin production, leading to dark spots and patches. Hormonal changes, such as those during pregnancy or with the use of certain medications, can also contribute to pigmentation concerns. Hyperpigmentation is most commonly associated with sun damage, while hypopigmentation is typically associated with genetics and inflammation.
Why Treat Pigmentation with Serums?
When it comes to combatting pigmentation, serums are one of the best daily-use products to target these concerns because they’re specifically formulated to deliver a high concentration of active ingredients that can penetrate deep into the skin to tackle pigmentation at its root. They’re lightweight, fast-absorbing and can work wonders in fading dark spots, evening out skin tone and restoring youthful radiance. By incorporating a targeted serum into your daily skincare routine, you can give your skin the extra boost it needs to combat pigmentation during the sunny summer months.
What are the Best Ingredients to Target Pigmentation?
To target pigmentation, it’s important to focus on antioxidants and ingredients that promote cell turnover like AHAs and retinoids. Here are some of the most common brightening ingredients:
● Vitamin C: A potent antioxidant that helps reduce melanin production, brightens the skin, and fades dark spots.
● Niacinamide: Helps to inhibit melanin production, reduces inflammation and improves overall skin texture.
● Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs): Such as glycolic acid and lactic acid, these exfoliate the skin, helping to fade dark spots and promote skin cell turnover.
● Retinoids (Vitamin A derivatives): Effective at fading hyperpigmentation and promoting skin renewal.
● Kojic Acid: Derived from fungi, it inhibits melanin production and can help lighten dark spots.
● Liquorice Extract: Contains glabridin, which can help inhibit melanin production and reduce pigmentation.
● Azelaic Acid: Helps to reduce the production of melanin and is beneficial for post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation.
● Vitamin E: A powerful antioxidant that helps protect the skin from UV damage and supports the effects of other brightening ingredients.
● Tranexamic Acid: Helps to reduce melanin production and prevent the formation of new dark spots.
● Green Tea Extract: Contains catechins that have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, which can help brighten the skin.
● Mulberry Extract: Contains arbutin, which can help inhibit tyrosinase, an enzyme responsible for melanin production.
What are the Best Serums to Address Pigmentation?
These products deliver best results when applied twice a day. Choose from our range of intelligent formulas for the face and eye area:
● Skinuva® Brite 30ml: This innovative serum is enriched with powerful antioxidants and skin-brightening agents to effectively reduce the appearance of melasma, post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation, under-eye hyperpigmentation and sun spots.
● Swiss Line Cell Shock Age Intelligence Evenness Booster: Formulated with 2% Alpha-Arbutin, a powerful active that inhibits tyrosinase and prevents the formation of melanin, this versatile serum can be mixed into your moisturiser to lighten existing pigmentation and help to prevent future discolouration.
● SK-N Advanced Lightening Brightening Corrector: This brightening lightweight cream inhibits the release of melanin, helping to fade stubborn pigmentation to give your complexion a renewed and radiant appearance.
● R-Retinoate Youth Activating Day-Night Eye Serum: This ultra-advanced lightweight serum from Medik8 is formulated with Retinyl Retinoate, a gentle yet potent active eight times more powerful than retinol. Reducing pigmentation and brightening the delicate eye area, it also reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and improves texture and tone for brighter, more youthful eyes.
Don't let pigmentation hold you back from enjoying the best of summer. With the power of targeted serums from The Skin Experts, you can confidently embrace sunny days (even if they’re few and far between!) with a clear, even and radiant complexion. Remember to always protect your skin from harmful UV rays with sunscreen and nourish it with the right serums for a flawless summer glow. Get ready to say bon voyage to pigmentation and welcome your most luminous self this summer season.